Monday, June 1, 2009

Chew the Fat

I continue to be amused by the impotent efforts of liberal legislative bodies at combating obesity. Our own General Assembly offered some beauties in recent years, and this year is no different.

Tonight they are debating a bill in the House which would require restaurant chains to post calorie counts next to menu items. Proponents argue that this will give consumers better information to make more informed and healthy choices about what they eat.

The bill only applies to chain restaurants like McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, etc. This bill would not apply to mom and pop stores or grocery stores that sell take-out food.

Do these imbeciles actually think that passing laws like this are going to make people skinny? Give me a break. No one goes to McDonald's and has a box of greasy chicken nuggets, bucket of fries and a shake, and is surprised to learn it's crappy for their health and can make them fat.

Obesity isn't a problem spread by a lack of government mandates. It is spread by an indolent culture of inactivity, bad nutrition, overeating and lack of proper exercise. End of story. Fat people aren't saying to themselves "if only I' knew how many calories were in that whole cheesecake I ate."

And before anyone challenges me that there are people who "just can't lose the weight" you are wrong. If you don't believe me, please present the footage of the liberation of Nazi concentration camps where all the skinny people march out except the one fat guy... who shrugs his shoulders and says "hey... I just couldn't lose the weight."

If liberals want to socially engineer people away from obesity, they could stop creating work disincentives, and stop being so opposed to competitive sports. They could also get off the blogs. I mean, how many bloggers at My Left Nutmeg are skinny? You can count them on one hand.

Of course, the more people eat at these restaurants, the more you need that Office of the Ass Advocate... I applaud them for the foresight in knowing that after three meals in a row at Taco Bell and you will need to blow out the head at the Dress Barn.

2 comments:

mccommas said...

I agree to a point.

Keeping weight off is easier for some and not others. -- And I ain't no liberal.

I used to weigh 129 pounds on the dot. Now I weigh about 155.

That said the law is as you say pretty fucking stupid.

It sounds like one of Don Williams' laws to me.

Headless Horseman said...

Well, naturally I am being a bit extreme to make the point. I know that things like genetics, some health conditions contribute to weight gain. So does the slowing metabolism of age as you point out as well certain medications which have weight gain as a side-effect.

But by and large obesity is a self-inflicted disadvantage and health problem. And in this day and age there is no excuse for failing to be responsible to yourself for what you eat and how much you exercise.

Making chain restaurants post calorie counts will do nothing for that.