Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Nickerson Retiring

The Greenwich Times is announcing that State Senator William Nickerson (R-36) will not run for re-election in 2008.

From the Greenwich Times:
“There is a time to run for office, a time to serve in office and a time to move on,” Mr. Nickerson said in the release. “I have decided that that time has come for me.”
He added that he is announcing his decision now so there will be “ample time” for a successor to be chosen.

This is Mr. Nickerson’s 22nd year as a member of the General Assembly, having served four years in the House of Representatives, and the past 18 in the Senate.

“I have worked with four governors, cast 11,000 votes and driven about a quarter of a million miles on my commute to Hartford,” he said. “I have enjoyed every minute of it — well, most minutes anyway.”

“To my constituents,” he added, “I am immensely grateful to you for giving me the privilege of representing you. You have allowed me the opportunity to help make the district and this state a better place. I hope that in some way I have done that and that I have been equal to the trust you have placed in me.”

Mr. Nickerson, whose district encompasses all of Greenwich and parts of New Canaan and Stamford, expressed his gratitude to his family, friends, supporters, Gov. M. Jodi Rell and his fellow legislators.

“I look forward enthusiastically to the 2008 legislative session and will strive to serve you to the best of my abilities throughout this year,” he said.


This could make things difficult for Republicans in the upcoming state elections this November, and his successor should be chosen with great care...

No comments: